Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I got sick of writing last time

I will begin with two bits of excellent news. Firstly, Kyle got the internet working in our apartment again, so that is good. Secondly, it is no longer balls hot in Shanghai, which is also good. In fact, it's kinda chilly. Like, it's probably gonna be pretty cold before I leave.

I don't really want to talk more about our trip. I kind of got bored of writing about it last time. I'll just finish up and say that we went to Urumqi and it was cool. And we went to the Heavenly Lake, and it was as the name would imply. And also, we hiked to the top of the thing mountain where a pagoda is perched atop. It was nuts. Except a couple of us yelled at this one dude who wouldn't shut his yap. We were like "Hey, we're on top of ******* mountain, can we have some quiet for like two minutes?" And then we threw him over the side. Not really, but that would have been cool. Anywho, the whole trip was pretty dope. "Dope" is the new word, as this one guy has said it all along to describe things, and now we all do. So that's fun. But yeah, I'm sure I'll write more later, and also, you can ask me about it when I get back if you want. Plus I took like 2.3 gigs worth of pictures.

But there were some funny things that happened:

Firstly, in Xi'an at the bar street, there was a live band. I went to use the facilities and on the way out they immediately began playing the theme from "Beverly Hills Cop." This would become the theme for the rest of the trip. If you don't know the theme, look it up on youtube or frostwire or something, because it is a ridiculous song for a live band in Central China to be playing.

Also, the area we visited had a large population of Uygur minorities. The funny thing about "Uygur" is that it's pronouced like "Wigger". So our tour guide would constantly be saying "We are going to place with many wiggers" and "We are going to hear some traditional wigger music." The best was in Urumqi, where she warned us not to stay out too late because "wiggers tend to be more aggressive than Han people." It did not cease being funny for the entire trip.

Also, one of the people at the giant sand dunes looked like Kim Jong Il. And I managed to share the magic of Creedence Clearwater Revival with a Chinese man who was on our train. I don't think he was a very big fan.

All in all, an excellent and exhausting trip. Over 50 hours on a train. 4,000 miles traveled in 9 days. It felt strange to be "coming home" to Shanghai.

No comments: