Monday, November 3, 2008

An Ode to the Republican Party

There is a dirt track behind my apartment building where I run everyday. Usually, I am the only white person there. Lately, I have acquired a new Chinese friend, who accompanies me on my jogs and we practice speaking Chinese and English. I'm somewhat wary because my running time is usually my alone time/relaxation time, but he's nice enough, and I feel like I could tell him that I just felt like running that day and he would understand. Today we talked about politics. It was staggering the amount of information he knew about the American political system and American politics in general. Ironically he claimed to know very little about the politics of his homeland (this is either true, or he is uncomfortable sharing his true feelings with a new friend, especially a foreign one). Either way, it helped me to appreciate the fact that regardless of how we feel about the current state of American politics, we still have a say. And at least we are informed about the goings on of government (if one wants to escape the "liberal" or "conservative" bias of the American media, it simply takes a little bit more effort and patience to review better, albeit more boring sources of news, CSPAN, for example). And at least we are able to say who we want to lead our country. Not wake up one day and discover that another person whom we know nothing about has been appointed into a position of authority for reasons we know nothing about. Which is the case in certain places. ahem ahem.

And for this I am grateful.

And for another thing I am also grateful. And that is that regardless of who wins in the next few days, at least we will have a new administration. Not a man who's administration somehow convinced America that he, a Yale-educated, Connecticut-Born, Skull-and-Bonesman, son-of-a-millionaire-President was somehow a political "outsider" in Washington. And I don't want to jump on the "Bush Hate Train", because really it's his administration. And he's just a man. And I was one of those who was convinced he was an "outsider". (In my defense I was in the 7th grade).

But maybe now we really can change things. Regardless of who sits in the oval office next year. Maybe constituents can start influencing legislation, rather than special interest groups and lobbyists. Maybe Americans will wake up and realize that rather than worrying about being the victim of a terrorist attack, the real danger is that both our earth and our democracy is being eroded before our eyes. Maybe people will realize that America needs less poverty, not more billionaires.

Maybe. Let's hope.

3 comments:

Kacy said...

Very good thoughts Tyler. It makes me glad that we get a say as well, and I am glad that you realize it is Bush's administratio who can be called responsible for things, not just one dude. however, i did vote repulican because i can.

Team LRVN said...

Only God can change the heart of the king......
There is only ONE true leader in our world. My prayer is that the American people won't turn away from him. But if they do, it will be the their choice, like you say.
At least we get a choice. I pray they choose God.

Unknown said...

I'm going to go on a rant here because I think you'll sympathize with me. I don't know how informed you are as to the state of the voting youth today being that you are 3000 miles east from the civilized world.(that's assuming the world does in fact revolve around America) I digress. There are informed voters on both sides -- Two poles of youth that are impassioned and informed, both demanding respect...And then there is the bandwagon. I'm excited about neither candidate but McCain is definitely a lot less popular than Obama. Because of this, there is a new fad going around, it's voting. Voting for Obama, specifically. Now I'm not going to go on a rant about voting for the left or the right, but I am fed up with people voting because it's the cool thing to do and not objectively saying "is this man the right man for the job." Regardless of whether or not he is, "Probama" is the new black. Screw the ignorant lemmings of our generation, screw the privileged youth that call themselves socially aware but mainly, screw these bandwagon voters that vote because it's "progressive" to vote for Obama. On a side note, I don't think Obama's taxation policy will do anything but screw the poor. It's going to bludgeon our economy in three blinks of a lamb's eye. I can't wait to see you back, I miss you.